Brenda's Child

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Postpone the Boycott


As much as I am a fan of solidarity, I will not be joining in on the boycott of Dove products. Not just because I recently purchased a three pack of the beauty bar. And my refusal to boycott isn’t because I’m obsessed with how my 6 year old smells after he bathes with it, or its “ ¼cup of moisturizing cream.” It’s bigger than that. First of all, I love their empowerment campaign for girls. Secondly, I see how Dove has continuously tries to celebrate diversity in body size, age and skin color.


Sure, they’ve failed in the past, and more recently they failed miserably with their wash away the dirty black skin ad. But I don’t think it was intentional. Suspect, but not intentional. However, it does bring up a point. If Dove wants to celebrate diversity, where the hell was their Dre Johnson from Blackish when they were sitting around brainstorming?

Why wasn’t there at least one woke ass Black person at the table telling whoever shared that idea that it was racially insensitive as FUCK. I mean, what good are diversity ads if there  is no diversity behind the scenes and up the executive ladder?  
I’m hoping that after being called out like they sooooo rightfully deserved, Dove will make some changes.  Major changes. But who knows, maybe I’m wrong and they really do think we’re dirty, or that our skin is “dark” and not “normal.” But because I’m consumed with combatting so much other extreme hatred & racial injustice, if Dove wants me to boycott them, they are going to have to be a bit more blatant.  

No comments:

Post a Comment